Is it time for hospice? Ten questions could help determine if hospice is the answer.
If four or more of these apply, hospice may be the best answer.
- Physician has given a limited life expectancy (six months or less)?
- Several hospitalizations or visits to the emergency room over last six months?
- Increased medication for physical pain?
- Several falls within the last six months?
- Frequent phone calls to physician’s office?
- Majority of day spent in bed or chair?
- Require assistance with two or more of the following: getting out bed, bathing, dressing?
- Noticeable shortness of breath, even at rest?
- Feeling more tired and weaker overall?
- Dramatic weight loss, clothes noticeably looser?
According to medical studies, patients who choose hospice as early as possible for a terminal illness tend to live better and longer lives than those who wait.